Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Toys

Toys

When I was growing up in the 1940’s & 50’s we probably had more toys than my parents ever thought of having. My children got a least double what I ever had and their children have four times as much has they ever received. Which makes one wonder where will it end? Yet kids today like kids of the generations before them play with only one or two favorite toys and the boxes they came in. They are usually toys that require an imagination and that the child has some control over. You see kids today riding on motorized scooters that seems to me to be boring, we used to make our scooter from two by fours, used roller skates and a box of some kind, which you had to push with one foot to get it going. The only motorized toys we had was electric trains that were fun to set up with the plastic villages and all, but to watch the trains just go around and around I don’t think so. Now kids today have a new kind of toy video games which are a mixed bag of good and bad. Once again the games that take an imagination seem to me to be more fun than the ones that are just point and shoot. Plus I don’t think the point and shoot games teach respect for life. I remember building forts out of anything we could find using our imagination. Now I am just a common old working lad so I don’t really know if today’s Children use more or less imagination than we did, but it seems to me that people should buy toys that require their children to do something.

No comments: